Into Rwanda

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Rusty Writes:

(Rusty is a Let's Start Talking intern)
Greetings from Kigali, Rwanda

Bite'...that is pronounced bit-A,
It is Kinyarwandan for "Hello"...naturally you would say Nibiza, which means "I'm fine."
I don't even know where to start so here we go. My travels to Rwanda were very long and tireing, but the good news is that God has landed me safely, with all limbs, in Rwanda. We actually left the US for London the day of the subway bombing. We weren't sure at first if we'd make it to Africa that weekend, but it worked out, and we were even able to travel into London on our layover to see the sites.

We arrived at the Kigali International Airport on Saturday the 9th of July, and were greated by the Dean of Student's assist and about 10 men from KIST...Kigali Institute of Science and Technology...to help us to our guest house. My team, as well as myself were exhausted and suffering from jetlag due to the 7hr time difference, but we trecked on to the US embassador's house for a 4th of July bash on the 9th...Ya, I know. After checking into the guest house we were able to get some much needed rest, and after God put a fresh face on Rwanda. I litteraly didnt know if I could do it the first day, but it is amazing what sleep can do to change your attitude.

Almost three weeks have passed now and after adjusting to life here in Rwanda, I have to say that I wont be such a baby when I return home. We take so much for granted...like running water, and electricity, oh ya, and toilet paper. I am kind of a sissy so it took me some extra time, but I have learned the swing of things and God is strengthening me more, and more everyday...! (I can't wait for a LONG, HOT shower when I get home!)

Anyway, enough about me. Lets talk about God. He is so amazing! When we structured the logistics of this trip the impression was that we would be tutoring students from KIST, using LST(Lets Start Talking) material. Well, that wasnt enough for God so he changed the game plan. We are now tutoring...in CLASS, almost totaling 300 students. That means that we are actually teaching about 30 classes a week between our team of 13, and each class holds an average 10 people. We are using the book of Luke and having discussion over the readings with students of all religious backgrounds. In fact I studied last week with a Muslum whos name is Eisha, when translated in english is "Jesus." It is so cool. The LST team that I am working with is amazing. I am so blessed to be surrounded by other students who truly love God and strive to share Christ's love with everyone they come in contact with. Wow, God is so wonderful.

I brought some things from home that I thought the students would like; candy, pictures etc, but the best thing I brought were a few pictures of my life. It helps people here to get an idea of what life is like in the west. Its been great to share stories and experiences with each other, I'm learning so much from these amazing people.

I have so much more to tell you but I am running out of time at the internet cafe'. I will tell you all of the big details when I return. Just know we are safe, we are fighting for the cause, and God is blessing us abundantly. Isn't our Lord King amazing?

Please keep us all in your prayers, especially the Jenkins and their family. Thanks!

I love you all!
Imana Ishimwe "God Bless"
Rusty Linden

2 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering if there are any more updates on the team's work?

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Jan said...

I'm posting as soon as I receive word, but I'm curious, too. I'll send this along to Dave. It is 2:00 a.m. there right now, so I don't expect any answers tonight. Thanks for visiting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home