Into Rwanda

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Pioneers

As I have stated before there is a unique gathering of Americans happening in Kigali. Many work as missionaries or development workers. Most have children of similar ages to my own. Many are at the point in their careers in which they possess the wisdom of on field seasoning while still being young enough to bring enthusiasm to the task at hand. One of the major issues in their sustainability in Kigali will be the education of their children.

Again, I am appealing for your prayers and support in helping us to develop a school for our children. I especially ask that you join us in prayer on Saturday, March 11 as we devote our school meeting entirely to prayer.

During our last meeting, Dwight Jackson, the country director for Food for the Hungry made a statement that I have been pondering for some time. Dwight remarked that 150 years ago, our forefathers in America gathered on the frontier and planned for their children’s education. It started out with building a one room school and hiring a teacher to come to the remote areas of the frontier. Eventually, the schools grew to what is now America’s educational system. Today, most Americans receive the benefits of these pioneers of faith and education. They laid the foundation for America’s current education system and ordinary Americans now rarely think about the details of recruiting teachers, building a school, deciding on a curriculum, etc… All that our Kigali group is currently doing is replicating the pioneering spirit of our ancestors. As I looked around at our parents, I saw the pioneering spirit that led us all here, and has now led us to branch out in a new area so that our community’s children will have an excellent education and a hopeful future.

Those of you that know me know my undying interest in history. I could not help but be very thankful for the heritage that has led me to Rwanda, and how that heritage has given me clearer vision for the task at hand. In the 1740’s the First Great Awakening swept America, and laid the philosophic ideals that led to America’s independence. In the Second Great Awakening the evils of slavery were dealt a blow that would eventually become fatal. Also, it gave the roots to our heritage of simple non-denominational faith. The pioneers ingrained into the American spirit the belief that our future was one of hope. With faith and perseverance the future of coming generations would be better than our own.

I live in Rwanda a descendant of the struggles of my grandparent’s generation who faced both the Depression and Second World War. Through their determination the seeds of America’s rise to a world power and economic prosperity were achieved. To be honest if not for them, it is quite unlikely I would even be here in Rwanda today.

I also know my history well enough to know that leadership is always seasonal. Whether for men or nations, our position of leadership can only last a brief moment. History will judge us based upon whether in our season of leadership we are agents of both justice and mercy.

So what does this mean today? I know it sounds harsh to post-modern ears, but the Lord will judge us. He will look at our heritage, talents, and resources; and ask whether we have been faithful. As a descendants of the faith of many, I know that he will see us as his wealthiest servants in the history of humanity. We have been blessed abundantly in both heritage and resources. It is that heritage that enabled my family to come to Rwanda. It calls me to responsible action. It calls me to pray, plan, and work for my children’s future.

I ask that you join our family especially in prayer this coming Saturday as we pray for the future education of our children.

Imana ikurinde (May the Lord Keep All of You),

Dave Jenkins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home