Resolutions at Week Three
I'll share with all of you one of my struggles. The Lord designed me to be a Visionary. I am always looking at the future. In a crisis I can't help but to keep trying to find a solution. When things are calm I can't help but ponder what could become. My mind is always looking to the future.
The other paradox of me is that I'm a historian. I read everything I can about the past and ask many questions. I also enjoy the company of those older than myself, and want to capture all their wisdom before it disappears.
It may seem like a contradiction, but I discover history because I can not help but dream for the future. History is my venue to clarify future vision.
Almost three years ago I was fortunate to be on a life changing pastoral retreat. Prior to the retreat I was required to take a psychological test. It probably does not surprise you, but both Jana and I tested as Visionaries. As we were receiving some wise counsel from a wiser pastor than myself he raised the question, "Who lives in the here and now?" He hit the nail on the head for many of my struggles. Left to my own devices I have a difficult time taking care of the ordinary details of life. My only hope is to be extremely disciplined, do all I can to build a community of peace, and gather to myself those whose spiritual gifting complements my own.
Today, I'm looking back at a sermon I preached as we started 2008. I put before many of you my 2008 personal resolutions to say "no" more often and to seek greater order. My hope was that by being more orderly and less committed I would be a better person living in community. We also looked at the typical resolutions that most people make each year. Almost all of the typical resolutions deal with physical health, financial stability, and spiritual growth.
My guess is that some of you made resolutions that were about spiritual formation. How are you doing on these?
Let me offer a little help this week. When Jesus was on this earth he left several things undone. One was to form the institution we call "The Church." For some mysterious reason, He did not get the church organized until after He rose from the dead and the Holy Spirit came to dwell inside those who believe in the Resurrection. An old church planting pastor named Paul of Tarsus use the phrase "_________ one another" frequently in his writings. Paul's point was that in "the church" we must do things for one another to build their spirituality. Some times I hear people say something to the effect of "Yes to Jesus, but no to the church." They have found the failings of people in the church and decided spirituality in a community is not worth the effort.
However, according to both Jesus and Paul spirituality can not happen without others. So if one of your 2008 resolutions is about spiritual growth let me offer some opportunities at CCR for you.
First, this Thursday, 24 January we are starting a weekly small group Bible study in our home from 6 to 8 p.m. Our home is in Kimihurura. Please give me a call if you need directions to our home at 08-675-122. It is our hope that this group will do what Jesus and Paul intended. We meet in community and search.
We discover the truths of God's word an apply it to our lives. We share our celebrations and struggles. God is honored as we find in Him all we need.
Next, this Saturday, 26 January we will offer our Beginnings Course at CCR from 1 to 5 p.m. In it the basic questions of faith will be addressed—Who is Jesus and how do I follow Him? Also, we'll explain our CCR Vision and how you can become involved. Lastly, we'll discuss in more detail the Christian symbols of Baptism and Holy Communion.
I hope that I'll see some of you who are seeking this week.
Imana ikurinde,
Dave
Labels: Christ Church Rwanda
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home